Saturday, November 25, 2017

Colt starting reflections

It is never stops surprising me how completely different every colt is that we work with. For the sake of ease of discussion here, I’m going to refer to every young horse that is learning how to be ridden as a colt.  I do fully understand that there are colts and fillies and colts are male and fillies are female, but a trainer that I learned from a while back referred to them all as colts and it just stuck in my brain and never left.  

Training colts is one of the highlights of my life.  Not that I’m not completely scared sometimes.  Scared of getting hurt but more so, scared of failing the colt and messing them up somehow.  I hope that’s a natural fear. I like to think that the day I think I know exactly what I’m doing and stop worrying that I may be doing it wrong is the day that I stop helping horses.  Because that fear is what keeps me researching, reading, watching videos and trying to get better at it.  It’s what keeps me gentle and quiet, yet firm and demanding of respect.  It’s what makes every step forward such a rush.  

Kenya made great strides today.  It’s kind of interesting to reflect back on our projects this past year.  China was super easy, the kind that makes you think you’re really good at training colts, but really the colt is just that good.  I thought Hope would be so difficult because she just really really didn’t trust human beings.  But she was actually quite easy as well.  There wasn’t a buck in her either and boy was she smart.  All the scary stuff I tried to scare her with; bags, strings, hula hoops, tarps, you name it, were not at all scary.  Kuzco was like China, nothing phased him but he was more on the pushy make me side.  And now Kenya.  


Kenya is definitely more on the scared side but she tries so hard.  She also tries really hard at something else; getting the saddle OFF.  New saddle today, with a back cinch, so that meant we had to give our best effort to try to get rid of the new beast.  Boy is she athletic.  Here’s hoping that she figures out that saddle isn’t going anywhere and gives up the bucking sooner rather than later, like when I’m on her.  But she gave it her best and gave up.  And then we were on to newer and bigger challenges.  Today was the first day of ground driving day and she flew through that with flying colors.  We ended with some flexing and some desensitizing to cool down.  I couldn’t be more proud of her and more excited for the next day I get to work with her.


We overheard someone once making a snide comment about our young horses and how we buy and sell.  This is true.  I’ve shown for 3 years now and had a different horse each year.  This past year I didn’t make it through the season with the young horse I had before we found him a new home.  I understand there is a thrill with taking a trained horse to perfection.  I do get that.  And I sure appreciate every time I’ve had a good broke horse or pony to ride.  We do have Peach, she’s a good broke pony that needs finishing and we look forward to taking her to the next level.  But it is tough to beat the rush from the first ride.  The first time they back softly.  The first time they move their shoulder over.  The first lope off, without bucking hopefully.  And when you see one of your colt with their new owner rocking the world, well - that makes all those crazy first rides.  All those bumps, bruises and wild moments worth it.  

So yes - we love starting the colts.  And each one is so very different and there are always stories to tell.  Can’t wait for the next day and the next chance to teach something new and probably learn a little something myself in the process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment