Monday, July 10, 2017

Interesting....very interesting

A post came across my social media feed tonight about how this "us" was created during the election because of how "we" attacked "them" and they had to stand up for themselves.  I started to write a blog post about the "us vs them" mentality that Trump has so bitterly pushed for in our country when I realized it all sounded very familiar.  That's when I looked back through old blog posts and realized I had already written it.  And cleverly titled it "Us vs Them".  Wow, I was feeling creative that day I guess.

Us vs Them

But that's not really even the most interesting part.  What was interesting to me was that I posted that back in March in response to being called a snowflake for being a liberal.  What was interesting to me was that when I looked at my blog statistics, that post was read 63 times.  63 times and I am sure at least 5 were me proofreading and rereading my own blog.  In contrast, my blog on Tim and my song for the wedding has been viewed 390 times.  My blog on tipping your server: 239 times.  My blog about why I wear Lularoe:  323 times.   In fact, I was hard pressed to find a blog that had been read fewer times than my blog on us vs them.

Why is that interesting you ask?  Because I don't get it.  Why is it more interesting to read about colored glass hens on nests than discussing the divide in our great nation?  Why do we pretend that there aren't serious human rights issues going on right under our noses?  Why do we bury our heads in the sand and puff out our chests pretending that the issue isn't our own selves?  Why do we refuse to even read about it, much less do something about it?

Trump can't fix this country.  Obama didn't fix this country.  The media isn't to blame.  The "entitlement generation" isn't to blame.  Our education system isn't to blame.  The economy isn't to blame.  The blame lies within each and every one of us.  You.  Me.  Our parents.  Our kids.  Our neighbors.  We need to all look within ourselves and our interactions with each other and check ourselves.   I'm no better but I'm trying to be better.  I'm trying to have an open mind and I'm trying to change me.  Because that is the only person I can change.  Myself.

Stop trying to force feed your values and opinions on others.  Stop believing that just because someone doesn't agree with you they must be wrong, stupid, or your enemy.  Stop worrying about someone's religion, gender, sexual orientation, color, nationality and race and start asking them about what their childhood was like, how they came to their belief system and try to see from their point of view.  After all, it isn't our job to judge others.  It is our job to judge ourselves.  And sadly, most of us come up a little short.

We can either bury our heads in the sand and skip everything that we don't agree with or just don't want to hear about, or we can start being part of the solution.  Live the solution.  And share it with everyone you can.  We are all in this together after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment