Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas Reflections

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly Christmas comes and is gone.  I cannot believe that tomorrow when I get in the car, our favorite Christmas station will be back to just playing random music again.  No more Rocking Around the Christmas Tree, no more Carol of the Bells, just Don't Stop Believing for the next 11 months.  While our Christmas trees and village will stay up until after New Years, it is the time to reflect on the whirlwind of the last couple of days and carry those memories with us for the days, months and years to come.

This was our second year together as a family and I couldn't be more thankful.  As we celebrated with Tim's family and all the chaos that 7 brothers and sisters and 20 grandchildren in one household brings, I kept getting overwhelmed with how much love that family shares.  There was so much joy, so many laughs and so many hugs and happiness in one household.  I feel so blessed that my girls and I get to be a part of it.

Speaking of laughs, there is nothing like a game of Game of Things to get the laughter rolling around the table.  We play a lot of fun games with the Andrings (Ticket to Ride is another popular one), but Game of Things is a favorite.  Even when we make a concentrated effort to keep it clean, it is still a whole lot of fun.  If you haven't tried it yet - give it a go.

The girls got to spend an afternoon and evening with their dad's parents and siblings while we went the other direction to more of Tim's extended family.  The girls came home with so many stories and videos and laughs that I felt like I had been there too.  More little cousins around to bring loads of smiles and more uncles with a strong appreciation for sarcasm and teasing.  I'm so glad that they get to spend time with them too.  They always come home feeling so loved and with big smiles.

There was a beautiful midnight mass in St Charles.  What a gorgeous church, with a beautiful homily surrounded by family.  Of course the music, I can't sing enough beautiful hymns with a church filled with beautiful singers.  Father Tim moved us all to laugh and the true meaning and spirit of Christmas filled us all. 

We enjoyed a slightly quieter Christmas evening at my parents house.  Well, it was quiet, until we got out Sophie's new game.  If you haven't played Quelf, you need to.  When Sophie got it for Christmas from her cousin I had no idea what it was, I had never heard of it.  So we broke it out last night and I have not laughed so hard in a long time.  God bless Sharon and her willingness to play along with us.  Even if it meant she had to tap dance and tell us an embarrassing childhood memory.  HA!  Sharon also gifted us with the most amazing wedding scrapbook.  It is beautiful and holds all my favorite wedding moments.  Thank you to my friends who secretly helped her with pictures that I have never even seen.  I love it!
Of course we had our Christmas morning together as a family with all kinds of wonderful gifts, but the most amazing part was all of us together as a family.  Family, we are so blessed to have each other and our health and be able to spend the holiday together.   I wouldn't have needed to open even one box as long as I could watch my kids and Tim be surprised and happy as they opened their gifts. But they always spoil me.

As we move into the coming year, I hope we can all take the happiness and kindness that we have shown each other over the holidays and continue to spread Christmas cheer all year long.  I hope we don't forget how blessed we are, how many family and friends we have that love us and love each other as fiercely all year long.  Merry Christmas everyone - hope your holidays were happy and bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment