Saturday, December 9, 2017

My latest obsession

See, the problem is I don’t just watch these damn shows, I get absorbed into them.  And I purposely never started Grey’s Anatomy because I knew, I KNEW, I would get hooked on it.  And then Sophie started watching it.  One day she’s watching it and I’m watching over her shoulder, and then I’m sitting down and then... the rest as they say, is history.  I was hooked.

I did what any sane person would do.  I set up my own profile so I could start the show over.  I quickly have caught and then passed Sophie.  (It’s not totally my fault- I can watch while on the treadmill and to fall asleep each night.)  She’s got homework and basketball and did I mention she’s annoyed that I’m now past her?

As I started season 9 I realized I was more than halfway through and it has made me a little sad.  I don’t know what I’ll do when I have to leave Meredith and find something else to watch.  Yes- I know that most of my other favorite characters are no longer on the show.  But you’ll have to just bear with my season 9 and earlier reflections.

The other day Sophie commented that I was basically Meredith Grey in teacher form.  I’m not sure that’s entirely a good thing.  There are some things about Meredith that completely annoy the crap out of me.  But there are other things about her that I can relate to.
She’s madly in love with her husband, Derek- so I can relate to that.  (Yes- I know, I accidentally stumbled onto a spoiler alert looking for something else.  But she IS right now in season 9.)  I love how affectionate they are and how they tease each other.  I mean, obviously I never tease Tim because I'm sweet and kind and innocent.  But he can be a regular little sh*t sometimes. Yes, Tim - you can.   So I do see some similarities between Meredith and I when it comes to her relationship with her husband.

She has a best friend, or as she says “her person”.  I can relate to that too.  I have a best friend who is my person.  She has been my person since we were both 8 years old.  Oh we competed against each other (like Cristina and Meredith), we have gotten mad at each other, but at the end of the day, she’s my person.  She knows everything about me, she knows all my thoughts and sometimes even thinks them before I do.  I’m blessed to have Tim and have him as my best friend, but no one knows my dark side and my deepest secrets and has been there when I’ve fallen apart in the worst way possible like my best friend.  She's my person.  She's the one I can totally be myself with, even the ugly stuff that I'm not proud of.  Not only will she support me, but she will probably even tell me that she feels the same way because, as we joke, we do share a brain.

Meredith loves her kids and being a mother fiercely.  The episodes of her as a mother, right down the frantic panic attack’s are something I remember and relate to.  I kind of can’t wait to see the episodes (if the show is still on) when her kids are teenagers. I have a feeling her version of parenting through sarcasm and mine will be eerily similar.

Her emotions are clearly read on her face and she is an emotional person.  Right down to the disbelief and disgust I try to hide sometimes.  Here’s hoping I do a better job of listening to authority figures than good old Meredith.  She seems to struggle with protecting herself from getting her butt into hot water.
 

There are a lot of crazy amazing Meredith Grey quotes to live by.  I love that.  I love how a show can inspire people and a fictional character can become so real that you can't help but be inspired by how they face life.  I wish I had crazy inspirational quotes like Meredith. "Brush your teeth or they will turn black and fall out and good luck finding a spouse without any teeth" probably isn't one for the memes and memory books. 



All told, I'm in love with the show.  Despite Sophie's claims about me being like Meredith (thank you Sophie!), Buzzfeed had me more like Callie Torres.  After reading their description, I'm totally okay with that too.   She is more of my favorite character than Meredith anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment