Monday, February 10, 2014

Hold onto your cards.

Ryan's favorite show of all time must be Scrubs because he has all 9 seasons on DVD.  And we watch them.  Every night.  So I've started to see them on repeat now and one part that always makes me laugh is the "man card" scene.  I found it on youtube, watch it here:

Scrubs

I thank my lucky stars that they don't give out "woman cards".  I would have lost mine a long time ago.  It's funny because after seeing that episode I'll even catch myself thinking, "well, I just lost a woman card for that one."

For example.  Princess Bride.  A favorite of every human out there possessing two X chromosomes I think. I have friends that haven't even tried to conceal their utter disdain and disgust when I tell them that I really can't stand the movie.  It isn't romantic to me and the whole time I watch it I sit there wishing it would just get over.  I've TRIED watching it and I've tried liking it. I watched it at different times in my life.  I've watched it on happy days and sad, with friends and by myself.  I just can't stand it.  I know.  That will cost me one woman card.

Another example, dresses.  Dresses don't make me feel pretty.  They make me feel naked.  And vulnerable.  I don't like naked and vulnerable.  I like being able to pitch hay, carry a bucket of water and just bend over without having to make sure nothing is falling out or anything is creeping up.  I can honestly say I don't own one dress or even a skirt.  I have some pants suits, for formal wear.  But if I were to go to a wedding.... it would be khakis I guess.  I prefer jeans.  They are very few surprises with jeans.  Jeans are safe.  And comfy.  I'm going to stick to jeans.  I'm handing over one woman card for that one.

Movies.  Yeah.  Movies.  That's a tricky one.  Girls are supposed to love romantic dramas right?  I've seen a few I like.  I love The Notebook.  But for the most part I prefer a good action adventure or sci-fi movie, a thriller, a raunchy comedy or even a documentary.  Dramas are good for falling asleep though.  But I'm not making my man sit through a "chick flick" because it would be punishment for me too.

How about shoes?  Girls are supposed to be obsessed with shoes right?  Want the expensive ones, want the heels, the open toes, the sandals?  Yeah, not me.  Unless I get to count running shoes/sneakers.  I want those in every color.  And they cost plenty of money.  But I have one pair of brown dress shoes and one pair of black.  What more does a girl need? OH and cowboy boots.  I want lots and lots of those.  In every color and height and toe style and pattern.   So can I keep my card? Because I would love to be able to spend lots on boots and running shoes.

Alright ladies, take stock.  How many of your "woman cards" would you have to give up?  It's a darn good thing we are all strong and confident women and don't need to fit the mold of the typical woman.  I'll wear my jeans and cowboy boots to a GI Joe or Transformers movie, and take it all with a little dirt under my fingernails and dust on my jacket.  And good luck taking one of my cards from me.  As a line from a favorite movie of mine goes, "you'll be walking over here, but you'll be limping back."


No comments:

Post a Comment