Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Seen anything good lately??

This weather has us all cooped up, but it does help with one thing.  It does help us get caught up on our movie watching.  Lately we've been working our way through Netflix, Redbox and the IGA.  The IGA does this amazing deal where you rent three movies for $7.99 and you can keep them for 2 days!  Of course, in our home, that means we forget to take them back after the second day and our amazing deal sometimes ends up not so awesome.  But we have watched a lot of movies.

Oh and Wehrenberg.  God bless Wehrenberg.  It is like my own personal sanctuary.  Love that place.  Nothing like a tub of popcorn, large pop and a box of milk duds to help you pass a winters day with a good movie.  We've spread our movie watching out, been to a movie at the Jem, been to Viking Theater in Decorah, but there is not greater joy than settling into my middle seat at Wehrenberg.

So what have we seen?  Well, I managed to make it through Nutjob with 3 nine year olds last Friday. It was cute as kids movies go. Not amazing or laugh out loud funny (like Frozen was), but the kids thought it was pretty good as an adult I could stand it.  It might not help that I think of squirrels as rats with fuzzy tails.  But I don't think the rodent prejudice is it, because I really liked Ratatouille.  I can tell you the little boy behind me didn't like it.  Cried and asked to leave through the whole thing.  That might have been why I didn't enjoy Nutjob as much as some of the others.

Saw Anchor Man 2.  It was eh, okay.  There were a few really hilarious parts, but I'm not one who likes slapstick type humor so, eh?  Ryan loved it.  And I have to admit I did laugh a little.  It might have helped if I had seen Anchor Man (the first) so that I could have understood some of the humor that went over my head. 

Saw an amazing movie in the theater, but if you missed it in the theater, you still need to check it out. Saving Mr Banks has one of my all time favorite actors in it, Tom Hanks.  Wow, he is just so amazing.  Think back over the roles he has played and you will see why I enjoyed this movie.  There was drama, and there was LOTS of humor.  I know that many people might think it was a kids movie because the background of the story is Mary Poppins, but I would not recommend for younger children.  My Libby would probably enjoy it, my Sophie wouldn't.  

Speaking of Tom Hanks movies, Ryan is a big fan of true story films.  (It's why he drug me The Conjuring.  Scariest movie of my life so far and one I "watched" the second half of by burying my head in his shoulder.)  So he brought home Captain Phillips.  It is an AWESOME movie.  Highly recommend.  


Also watched The Great Gatsby this past weekend.  It was pretty good.  A little slow getting started.  It has been soooo long since I read the book that I really couldn't remember the plot at all.  So I was a little confused, but once it got rolling it was pretty good.  And the ending was worth the wait.  Definitely a colorful and drama filled movie to check out on a snowy winter day.


So what good movies have you seen lately?  I have a list of ones to see.  Lone Survivor, Labor Day, Winters Tale, Monuments Men... the list goes on and on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment