Sunday, March 16, 2014

It's the blog nobody's been waiting for.

I know that the marathon posts aren't anyone's favorite, but as the blog is mostly a personal journal I can't skip it.

I'm so thankful to Lindsay for driving me as I am definitely directionally challenged.  We were so proud of ourselves as we found the Depot and were ready to run an hour and a half ahead of schedule.  We were sitting there waiting for Jessie and talking with her telling her how to find us.  Finally she called saying she was in the lobby by the packet pickup sign.  We went into the building and found the sign, no Jessie.  So I called her again and she said she was leaving the bathroom.  So we looked for the bathroom and Jessie asked exactly where we were and I happened to mention crossing the rink.  To which Jessie said, "Wait, are you in Minneapolis or St. Paul?  The half marathon is in St. Paul!"  We grabbed the nearest race volunteer and discovered we were in the wrong city at the start of the 7K, not the half.  So off Lindsay and I went for the right city and the right race.

We arrived in plenty of time.  Parked in the ramp we had a parking pass for (funny how that pass didn't work at the other race location) and were ready to go.  We headed to the start and the cold was pretty difficult, but not unbearable.  It didn't take long and we were off.

The start wasn't awful. In fact by mile 2 I was really settling in and it was going well.  I had started in the 9 1/2 minute mile group but had let them pull away and had seen the 9:55 pacer pass me as well.  I didn't really know where I was but knew I was ahead of the pacer for the group to finish at 2:15 so I just kept plugging away.  Mile 3 seemed to drag on forever and I was getting pretty discouraged. When all of a sudden I saw the mile 5 marker ahead.  Somehow I missed the mile 4 marker and had actually gone 2 miles.  Whew.  By mile 6 my sock had twisted and was driving me nuts.  So I had to stop at the turn around (the race doubled back) and take my shoe off, my socks off and put them back on.  It didn't help.  In 20 feet the sock bunched again but I had to just put up with it.  I couldn't stop every 20 feet.  So I tried to just put it out of my head.

And then I took off for the last portion of the race and discovered that the first half had been with the wind at my back. That wind was raw.  The gloves I had taken off quickly went back on and my face quickly became numb and windburnt feeling.  It was not a pleasant sunny feeling day anymore.

I was glad to see the mile 8 marker but again the mile 9 marker seemed elusive.  And then I saw the mile 10 marker ahead.  The race went much faster when I did 2 miles at a time apparently!  Mile 10 sucked.  No two ways about it.  My legs were tired there were tons of hills and uphill grades the whole race and my legs were reminding me that I hadn't run outside except for ONCE since October.  I walked a little and ran some more.  Ran through mile 11 and mile 12 came.  I had to walk again.  Just when I had made the decision just to finish at a walk a perky young thing in a hot pink tutu came by and said, "You can do it!  Only 10 minutes left, just push!"  Or something like that.  Really I was just thinking she was too chipper for mile 12.  But I picked up my feet and started plodding along again.  I slogged through mile 12 and was never so happy to see mile 13 and then the finish line ahead of me.  I found that last little push, finished strong and was never so happy!

When I finished my official time was 2:12:26 which was a personal best for me, my previous best being a 2:16:07 at the Women Rock last August.  I was shocked to discover how quickly I had been going.  And believe me when I tell you I can feel it today.  But races for me aren't about times and running fast.  Lindsay and I were talking about it on the way up and she really said it best.  Like she said, and I'll try not to get it wrong, "Running these half marathons isn't about the time.  Strength is about doing whatever it takes to finish and then doing it again."   Through the good runs, the bad runs, and whatever comes your way, you dig deep and find the strength to run again.  She had it exactly right.  It isn't about what the clock says.  It is about whether you can do it all again another day and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Thanks for the words of inspiration, Lindsay!  And thanks for being the voice in the back of my head reminding me not to concentrate on the little things in the race.  We discussed how much of a race is mind over matter.  When my ankle tightened up at 1 mile, I remembered that would go away.  When my knee hurt at mile 2, I remembered it would get better.  When my sock bunched and felt like a rock in my shoe, I was able to put that out of my mind and just keep running.  You're an inspiration!

I also have to thank you for the laughs.  And laughs.  And laughs.  Seriously - my side and my cheeks still hurt today.  And the pictures!  You gave me memories! I never took a one!

Thanks Jessie for helping me train and motivating me to get my butt on the treadmill even when I wanted to pretend it was too cold, windy, too snowy to work out.  You're an inspiration!

Thanks to my kids for putting up with my workouts and for supporting me as I trained.  And Sophie - I'm looking forward to running with you!

Ryan, thanks for being my supporter and your advice on how to fight the little aches and pains and keep pushing through the workouts. You keep me honest.

To all my friends who texted me and wished me luck or commented and congratulated me, thank you!  Your support means so much!

It's on to the next race.  Time to dig deep and sign up for the next one and get back to training.  That is, after I can feel my thighs again.  Note to self, the way to combat leg pain from a half marathon is not to go riding on a young lazy horse who takes a ton of leg to even get to trot.  No pain no gain - right?


I'm so thankful that I get to share my running with these two pretty ladies!  Thanks for being there for me girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment