Monday, February 13, 2017

Heart Horses

Heart horse.  Horse people talk about finding your “heart horse”.  It’s a hard concept to explain, especially to non horse people.  Maybe other animal lovers can relate?  Especially animal lovers of working animals?  The other part that makes it difficult to explain is that it is such a personal concept - individualized to each person and how they view horses in general and their own horses.  


There are so many different ways that horses can touch your life.  They can be your companion on a fun trail ride.  They can be warriors that go to battle with you in the show ring.  They can be a thrill ride of pure exhilaration.  They can challenge you to work harder than you ever imagined.  Or be the most relaxing part of your day.  But not every horse can be your heart horse.


I think some people go their whole lives enjoying horses, owning horses and riding horses and never feel that “heart horse” connection.  It isn’t easy to find.  Horses have their own very distinct personalities and for sure humans do too.  Finding two personalities that match up and are compatible is the first step and that doesn’t even ensure that type of connection.  Sometimes as much as our personalities match, our horse isn’t fit for the purpose that we enjoy and that leaves us disappointed.  But when you have that connection and you do love to do the same things together, lots of factors start to click and you realize that you have that one horse.  That horse that makes you light up when you talk about her.  That becomes your favorite picture, your favorite memory, the reason you can’t wait to get to the barn.  


I’ve done a lot of serious thinking looking back at the horses that we have owned over the years.  I’ve had a lot of horses that I really really loved, miss and would love to see or own again if I had all the pasture, barn space (and money) at my disposal.  Giggles, Rye, Taz, Levi, Maverick, Quincy, Gretchen, Ellie, Romeo, Taron, Oscar, Susie, Licorice, Rev, Zippy and Cutie.  Just to name a few.  But that heart horse connection is hard to come by.  I can really only think of one horse that I’ve had that connection with.  









Chic (My Honey's Dreamgirl) was a black(ish) shiny two year old that I picked out of a small herd of horses at my friends.  She started her for me and Chic and I had many shows, many classes, many trail rides and many memories together.  She was the mare that gave me Sophie’s “whoa, mean it” story.  She gave me my only Champ Show experiences.  She gave me my first experience riding a flying lead change and never disappointed me.  She wasn’t perfect.  She had a head only a mother could love.  She never even reached 15 hands.  She could have the laziest lope and she was the easiest keeper, aka obese almost all the time.  I loved that little mare to the moon and back, but when family circumstances demanded, I had to sell her.  It was one of the hardest days of my life, but I am so happy for her and her new owner.  The young lady that has her was just a little bugger at the time she bought her and it has been very rewarding experience getting to watch her grow up on Chic.  They are a great team and I am so proud of all that they have done.  I’m not sorry I sold her, it was the right decision at the time.  But she was my last “heart” horse.  




There have been times when I have thought a horse might be my new heart horse.  Like I said, we have been blessed to have a string of really nice horses over the years.  But none that seemed to get me as much as I “got” them.  I think, and I’m just beginning to see this happening, I think I have a new heart horse.  And I also realized that, as much as I love geldings, my heart horses - the horses I have that special connection with - will always be mares.


Recently I had a friend inquire about purchasing China.  I was all set to sell her.  I was looking at possible replacements even.  I thought that shopping for a new horse would maybe make it easier.  And I had the perfect one all picked out.  An adorable, well bred paint filly with a sweet sweet disposition.  But I couldn’t do it.  Every time I thought about selling her I got all choked up.  Every time I rode her she gave me 110%, even when I threw completely new things at her like bareback, ponying colts, bosal, etc… she never flinches and gives it her all.  I have done all the work with China from the ground up.  And she was one I didn’t even want.


I’m not sure how many people remember her story from a few blogs ago.  Libby found this chunky weanling for sale on a barely used horse for sale page.  It was kind of a fluke that she even found her and we fell in love with her simply because she was kind of sort of bred like our favorite mare at the time, Ellie.  I asked for a video and got a video of this spirited looking filly dashing around her frozen, muddy pen.  But it didn’t deter us.  We had to have her.  So we put a deposit down on her.  And then the world went to crap.  I realized I was going to have to ask Ryan to leave.  I was going to have less money coming in, more bills to cover on my own and no pick up truck to even haul our new filly home.  I sent an email asking the owner to consider refunding our deposit and with great embarrassment asked to get out of the deal.  Today I am so thankful he never got that email for whatever reason.  Through the help of Libby for the rest of the purchase price and my dad for loan of a vehicle, we were able to bring China home.  I had no idea what we do with her when I needed to be downsizing, but she was ours.  I considered China to be a giant mistake and I think she’s tried to prove me wrong ever since.



She learned lunging and leading in one practice session.  She went to one show where she tried her best to figure out what the heck we were doing and then was turned out for a couple months.  When I worked with her again, it was like I never left off and she progressed to saddling and ground driving in no time.  This fall she was started under saddle and truly was the type that never thinks of bucking.  Virtually no spook.  No nonsense.  Just “what do you want me to do, let’s do it”.  She is so smart that she learns something new every single time I work with her and makes progress every single time I spend a minute with her.  I always joke that we can use this power for good or evil so we had better be sure we are teaching the right things every time.  



Needless to say, China is off the market.  I’m too excited about the upcoming show season.  Too thrilled with her progress.  Too hooked on this filly to pass her on down the line just yet.  I’m breaking all my horse owning rules and going to trust it doesn’t come back to bite me in the butt.  I am not barn blind.  I realize she isn’t going to take the western pleasure classes by storm.  I realize she has her faults and downfalls and isn’t a world class show champion.  I don’t care if we never win a class, never place in a class, never hear our name announced.  I still love riding her and can’t wait to see what she thinks of the show ring.  In case you haven’t been able to tell, I’m pretty sure this lanky filly just might be my new heart horse.  Especially when we end every ride like this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment