Monday, February 27, 2017

Second weddings

You know what my favorite thing is about discussion and debate?  The fact that the more I have to explain myself to someone and research a topic, the more I understand how I really, truly feel about it.  This happened to me this week.  I got into a discussion about big wedding vs small wedding with someone and I learned something.  I’m super excited about my big wedding coming up.  


There was a time when if someone would have asked me if I wanted to get married again, I would have said no way.  And if I ever considered the idea of another wedding, I imagined it would be a small affair;  few people, maybe a destination wedding, simple dress, etc…  I had this theory that was what was appropriate for a second wedding.  The small private affair and maybe a reception later with a few friends and family.  But I’ve done a complete 180 on this one.


At first I thought I was doing the big wedding thing because it was what Tim wanted.  But as I got more and more excited, I decided I didn’t care about what a second wedding is “supposed” to be.  This is the wedding I was supposed to have, with the man I was supposed to marry.  That is what is important.  If I want all my friends and family to be there to celebrate, that isn’t a bad thing.  


Here we are just a few short months away from the date and the dress I have is big.  It has a giant long train and beautiful embellishments and I am not ashamed.  I love my dress and I want to look my absolute best on one of the most important days of my life.  I’m excited about my dress.  I’m beyond excited at the idea of having my best friend standing by my side with our girls next to her.  I can’t wait for the beautiful music, the vows that we are going to share, and the announcement that Tim and I are Mr and Mrs Andring.   


And you bet I’m excited about the reception.  I love the beautiful hall we picked out.  I can’t wait to see all my friends and family and visit, dance, laugh and share stories.  I can’t wait for the food, the desserts, the music, the lights.  We are keeping it simple, but it will be big.  And I refuse to feel bad about that.  


I’ve read a bit about second weddings and nowhere does it say you have to keep it small and private.  That may have been the case years ago.  But today - throw those “rules” out the window and have the wedding you want.  Everyone keeps telling me that planning a wedding is stressful and I know Tim worries about the things I say I’m doing for myself for the wedding.  But maybe I’m doing it wrong?  I’m not stressed out yet at all. People won’t be coming to my house so I don’t even have to clean.  I love to cook and am looking forward to that.  Decorations are going to be kept super simple and I’m not making anything.  I have my binder and my plan and uh?  Not stressed yet?  Does that part come later?  

Whatever happens down the road for the next few months, it isn’t a big deal.  The big deal is that I am literally marrying the man of my dreams.  The man that makes me so incredibly happy that I don’t care if the wedding photographer doesn’t show up (Just kidding Jill - I’ll kill you), the flower girls refuse to walk down the aisle, the maid of honor passes out (she’s threatened), the flowers all die, the food flops, or it rains cats and dogs.  I’ll still be walking down that aisle to Tim.  We will still promise to love and cherish each other for the rest of our days (and I plan on that being a lot of days) and we get to celebrate it all with our favorite people in the whole world.  It doesn’t get any better than that.  And seriously - if any of that other stuff happens, get it on camera.  I love a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment