Monday, October 31, 2016

Barn time

There is something about barn time that is just what the doctor ordered after a crazy day.  I had big goals for tonight and I'm happy to say that I achieved all of them!  I was on my own as my entire family was off to watch the school team at the state soccer playoffs.  So it was just me.  Of course I had to keep them updated, complete with picture updates as I went along.
Kuzco was the first to get pampered.  He needed a quick bath - thank goodness for a nice day.  He had a slight case of rain rot that we treated with MTG a week ago.  Why can they not make that stuff smell better?  Dang - burnt bacon grease is the best way I can describe it.  And it is just as greasy.  But it works.  So a quick bath with dawn dish soap to cut the grease and betadine to make sure we killed the nasty.  Then off to dry while I stripped his stall and got it aired out, dried, deodorized and restocked for him.


What do people do to work with their weanlings?  It's not like we can start lunging or saddle training.  Little bugger already stands tied forever.  I swear he would stand tied day and night.  We don't have our trail obstacles moved yet so basically we work on walk/trot in halter and set up.  He's catching on fast, so just basic manners and learning to love us.

Next step was to get Ace out.  He's finally sound again and umm... "fleshy" as my grandma used to refer to those who were pleasantly plump.  So I lunged him a bit.  And then, because Libby was gone and no one could stop me, I hopped on him bareback.  Of course I had to send her a picture.  I think she was okay with the idea?

I worked the barn owners halter horse on the lungeline and moved on to my fourth, final and favorite project, China.  She's such a quiet, good girl and so dang smart.  Even if she doesn't wow the world in the pleasure ring, she is not going to disappoint with her stellar attitude.  I have yet to find something that worries her.  Have to get my trail obstacles here and see what we can throw at her.  I might find something yet.
It may have taken me three hours, but only horse people will understand how all that work ended up being the most relaxing and calming part of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment