Monday, October 17, 2016

Dress shopping for "the dress"

So I’m starting to wedding dress shop.  The big day is over a year away, but I feel like I really should start narrowing down the massive selection of dresses I like.  It doesn’t fail that I see one I really like and I’m like “that’s the one” and then two clicks away I’m like “no, this is it.  This is the one.”  I have shopped in person as well and really really liked a dress.  But as soon as I left the shop I started having my doubts so I’m guessing that I still haven’t found “the one”.  And Tim, this is where you stop reading unless you want to know too much!


With that said, here’s my criteria.  First of all, everything about this wedding is going to be completely different and all unique to Tim and my special day.  No carryover memories from that “other wedding” that we won’t talk about.  So that means, no long sleeves.  My first dress was ivory, so I’m going white.  Which also goes along with my color scheme of white, silver and blue. Did I mention it’s a winter wedding?  So excited!  Snowflakes and silver and more snowflakes and glitter and eek! I'm so excited!


That narrows down two options, white and not long sleeve.  Did you know there are million options for “not long sleeve”?  I also know I don’t want strapless.  No matter how many times the gal at the bridal shop assured me that they have options for keeping the sisters in place, that is not something I want to worry about on my big day.  So we are down to only like a hundred thousand options.  


And that isn’t even fit yet.  I know I don’t want short or mermaid. Or sheath - which can I just say shouldn’t be the name of a style of dress.  It’s just not right.  So that leaves me with A-line or ball gown, which I love but can’t decide between.  So my choices are around tens of thousands now.  


Here I am, I’m shopping through dresses and trying to narrow down what my style or my look is and failing rather miserably.  They are all so pretty.  Except for some of them, ummm…  like wow?   And some of them look like something I couldn’t pee in.  That’s an important thing to plan ahead for you know.  I drink a lot of water in a day, I pee a lot.  This is a contingency I am planning for ahead of time.  Reality check? Where does all of that go when you have to use the bathroom?


And excuse me, but how tall are these models?  They have like perfectly normal torsos and then 10 foot long legs?  I don’t think so.  Why is it necessary to have them standing on a step ladder.  Can’t we just picture the dresses with realistic women in them?  And maybe not a size zero.  I feel that there is far larger portion of society that is a size 8 than a size 0.  I want an accurate representation of what this dress will look like on someone who actually ate three meals a day recently.  


And I leave you with another gem. I shared this one with a few people and we all came to the decision that it was a bit conservative. So going to have to keep looking.


Needless to say, the task is overwhelming and not as easy as I thought it would be. For someone who loves to shop, but hates to make decisions, I may not be up to this task.

No comments:

Post a Comment