Tuesday, March 13, 2018

She's an appaloosa I tell you! (And voting!)

It's just starting to sink in that China has some fans.  Maybe it is because I never stop talking about her and posting pictures about her.  Maybe it is because *knocks on wood* she is usually such a good girl in the ring.  Maybe it is because she is one of the very few cuddly mares I have ever met.  She LOVES people and she thinks everyone wants her big old head in their face, chest or lap.  Don't start scratching her or loving up on her, because she will not quit. (Ask anyone that touched her this weekend and ended up with a 1000 lb puppy in their face.)  Whichever factor it is, China is starting to get a few folks who think she is pretty cool.  Besides me that is.  Last weekend I had several come up to me and tell me how much they enjoyed our rides, or that she was their favorite in the class, or one commented that we should keep doing what we are doing because she looked so good.  Guess what they were all shocked to find out?  She's an appaloosa.

I wish with all my heart that she had the typical appaloosa look to her.  Not because I need to have color to love her.  I am not gonna lie - I like not having to get white spots white at shows.  She's an easy keeper that way.  But I wish she could be a better ambassador for a breed that gets a bum rap in our part of the country.  As you probably remember from my Crazy Appaloosa blog, there are some really wrong ideas about appaloosas here.  It's to the point where even a friend of mine who also loves apps commented that since she is into buying and reselling she has to stay away from appaloosas.  They are a "hard sell".  It makes me incredibly sad.  I'd give anything to wipe the look of horror and disbelief out of people's eyes when I tell them she's an appaloosa.  I wish I could change the general consensus and get people to realize that the modern appaloosa is as even tempered, pretty and talented as any quarter horse or paint horse in the pen.  I want, more than anything, for China to start changing people's minds about appaloosas.  But the problem is, she doesn't look like one.

Last year a fellow competitor aboard an appaloosa and friend took it as his personal mission to let everyone in hearing distance know she was an app.  When we would come out of a class after placing he would say, "good job with your appaloosa - that's right she's an appaloosa" to everyone within hearing distance.  He threatened to make me wear a sign.  He loves the breed as much as I do I guess.  However, that isn't the most effective way of getting the word out.  So what's the plan B?

I want a coat.  I want a coat I can wear during warm up and any time I'm out and about.  Maybe top the coat off with a hat.  On this coat (and hat) would be some kind of graphic or outline of an appaloosa horse and her name in big letters.... Maid of Copper.  But also on this coat would be something about appaloosas.  Some way of TELLING people she is an app.  The printer I talked to told me that Appaloosa Horse Club is copyrighted (that makes sense).  So we have to get more creative.  I suggested "Love my appaloosa" but Libby says that's too cheesy.  So I have a couple other options, see the list below and feel free to comment your vote or offer other suggestions.

"Love my appaloosa"
"Ride an appaloosa"
"I've got an app for that."
"Put your ass on some class, ride an appaloosa" (Libby says no to this one - she's no fun.)
"Appy butts drive me nuts"
"Appy mom"
"The only app I need"




No comments:

Post a Comment