Thursday, May 4, 2017

Field Trip Time!

Yesterday was our bi-annual field trip to the state capital.  We visited three locations; the state capitol building, the History Center and the Science Museum.  I look forward to this trip every time it comes around as I love visiting every single one of those places.  I also love seeing them through the eyes of my students as many of them view them for the first time.  It hits me every time we take this trip that many of my students have never visited our state capital or any large city outside of Rochester.  That was made abundantly clear yesterday when the students all saw the light rail for the first time. Many were excited and amazed by something so many of us take for granted every day.  One thing that hasn’t changed since I was a student myself is how excited students get by seeing a semi from a seat on the bus.  It made me smile to watch them all work frantically to get the semi driver to honk and their complete joy when they had success.  

If you are a Minnesotan and you haven’t read about our state capitol building or visited it, you need to go and see it soon!  It is newly remodeled and, while it has always been beautiful, it is beautiful and bright and shiny new looking today.  There are so many things to see and learn and view in our capitol building that we really only touched the tip of the iceberg with what we got to see in our half hour tour yesterday.  But I loved watching the students get excited about the grandeur of the building and seeing the places that we had learned about in MN history.  I’m hoping to get back there again this summer and see more of what they have remodeled with Sophie who didn’t get to see the capitol on her field trip as it was under construction.

We left the capitol and headed to the History Center after a quick lunch on the lawn of the capitol.  I had a great group and they were so fun to listen to and watch explore the museum.  But so were the other FC students that I ran into.  I was so proud to hear them be excited about history.  Almost as excited as I get, and that’s saying something!  

There was one blip at the History Center that actually turned out to be a great learning experience for our FC students.  I was waiting in line with my group and a coworkers group at the “Weather Permitting” exhibit which houses a room that replicates what it was like during the Fridley tornados in 1965.  As it grew close to the time for our group to go in, a group of 8-10 students from another school pushed in front of our students.  I told them that they needed to wait in line as our group had been doing.  They told me that they were part of a group in front of us with their chaperone.  I asked them if they thought that was fair to all of our students and the students from other schools behind us who had waited in line.  They started talking back and making snide comments about FC students.  I reminded them that they were representing their school district with their behavior. So while one student talked back to me, another got their chaperone's attention.  I’m not sure if it was a teacher or parent chaperone, but she told me that she had okayed them going around to exhibits while she held their spot in line. (Which - for the record - they did not.  I watched them off to the right of the line climbing on a bench and playing tag and grabbing at each other.)  I again asked the question if she thought that was fair to all the students that waited patiently in line behind her.  She became upset with me and informed me that it was really none of my business, that we were all going in anyway, and made some dismissive noises and gestures. I reminded her that she was also representing her school district.

At this point the students in her group realized that they had the full support of their chaperone with their behavior and it escalated.  They increased their mocking of my students, telling them to give their snapchats so they could be friends in a derisive tone and yelling at me that their teacher was nice and a good teacher and I obviously was not.  Several of the boys started pounding on the side of the exhibit saying they wanted to get in and it was their turn, etc...  My students did not respond or reciprocate any of the behavior and made several comments to me quietly about how disrespectful they were being.  It was a good lesson for my students as they saw me not responding and asked why I didn't say anything.  I reminded them that we had talked about it in class, that the behavior of those students reflected on who they were as people, not on me.  I was so proud of my students for turning their backs on the teasing and ridicule and not responding to any of their comments.  Not even once.  And not just not responding, but they were disgusted by their behavior and realized it was not how they would ever act.  

As my group went in, I waited outside to allow more students to fit into the tornado room.  When my students came out I asked if they had enjoyed the experience. They said that they were disappointed because those same students had talked so loudly through the whole thing so they couldn't really hear what was going on and that one of the students kept saying he was bored and that it was a complete waste of his time. They were shocked and couldn’t believe how rude that behavior was.  And again, I was so proud of my kids.  

As we left the History Center that day, the same group of students was waiting outside for their bus and again felt the need to yell at myself and my students all the way to our bus.  I did not choose to listen to their comments and as our bus was running, couldn't have heard them if I had wanted to.  But again was proud of my students as they walked by with their heads high and completely ignored the taunts and calls from those students.  What a life lesson they all had in dealing with confrontation and rude people. I’m actually kind of thankful for the experience for them.  

Our last stop was the Science Museum.  We watched the movie “Our Beautiful Earth”.  It was excellent.  So many amazing views of our planet from the ISS.  There is nothing like looking at Earth from outer space to stir a person’s soul.  After the film we toured the exhibits and the students had a blast.  Especially in the new “Sportsology” section.  They were all reluctant to leave and it was bittersweet as we rolled out of St Paul and headed for home.

As I reflect this morning, I am just so proud of my students in so many ways.  I’m proud of what they have learned this year, proud of their behavior, proud of what amazing young people they are and proud to have been their teacher the last 8 (almost 9) months.  I hate the end of the year and having to face saying goodbye to all of them as they head to the high school.  But I know this group will be amazing and I will get to see them from a distance grow into outstanding young adults.  Time to finish strong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment