Thursday, January 16, 2014

A year ago today

was easily one of the scariest days of my life.  I don't know if I ever will forget the horrified calls from my sister and getting a call where you can't understand much of anything through the sobbing.  The few blocks across town have never seem like so many as I rushed to be by her side and heard the terrifying news about Alex's tumor.  Our lives were all forever changed by Alex's battle with cancer.

I'm so proud of our students and community and the way they rallied around Alex.  I learned a lot about love and caring and the power of human determination throughout his illness.  I learned that one person can bring out the best in others, and Alex's illness sure brought out the best in so many people.

I'm so thankful that Alex's journey has brought him so far and that his outlook is so positive.  A year ago we were reminded that every day was a gift and we have learned not to take healthy and happy days for granted.

Reflecting on this time last year reminds me again not to take the little things for granted, but even more importantly, not to sweat the small stuff.  In the big scheme of things my loved ones are happy and healthy, or at least healing, and that is what is important.

God doesn't give us more than we can handle and we are truly blessed to be here in 2014 with a brighter outlook on the future.  Hugs and happiness to you and yours for this year also!

No comments:

Post a Comment