Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Thank a teacher day...

I miss these guys...

And my seventh graders, ninth graders, sophomores, juniors, seniors, staff, EVERYONE at the high school. Of course they are now all another year older and this year's seventh grade class I never even got to meet.
I love love love my sixth graders and most days I can kind of forget about the high school (no offense to all of you)!  But then some days it comes rushing back.
One of the things I had to give up when I was moved back to the elementary was being the Jr. High Knowledge Bowl Advisor.  Oh how I loved that job!  Quiz bowl type competition with 7th - 9th grade students.  So much fun!  And I had a great team coming up that was sure to do well.  They didn't disappoint. Today on my newsfeed I saw their smiling faces with their Regional second place trophies.  So proud of them!  So I set out to email/message as many of their parents as I could to tell them to wish them all a big congrats.  I got the sweetest email back from one parent, edited to keep the author anonymous:

Hope all is well for you at the middle school. _____________ was very lucky to have you for a teacher for two years. Even though you are a closet Arts and Crafts teacher, ________survived all the artsy projects and  actually enjoyed them! Along the way, though, _________learned a lot from you. ........ ........ the sixth graders are benefitting from a great teacher!

I have to laugh at the closet Arts and Crafts - I do like my project based assessment.  But I haven't killed any students yet forcing them to use glue, tape, scissors, prezi or powerpoint.  And I love that parents can have a sense of humor about it.
I can't tell you how much that simple email was a pick-me-up today.  I encourage all students or parents just to take 5 minutes out of your day and thank a teacher that was important to you or made you smile.  It will make their day guaranteed!

No comments:

Post a Comment